I can’t guarantee that I will always be able to provide recipes when requested, but I have two to share with you now – first, the easy strudel we had recently at a family lunch. My younger sister Juji kindly gave me the recipe to share with you guys (original post here). Obviously this is not an authentic or traditional strudel, which is why we have “easy” in the name. We could also call it “cheat’s” strudel, I suppose.
This recipe is for one strudel, which serves 9 (enormous servings) or more (depends on how small you can cut the serves, and what you and your guests will be happy with!).
Cottees Instant Vanilla Pudding (1 packet is enough for two strudels – what is it? Click here)
Fruit of choice (We’ve tried pineapple, apple pie filling, and cherry)
1 piece pre-rolled, frozen puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Bake the puff pastry for about 10-15 minutes until well puffed and golden. Place on wire rack to cool.
- Pour cream into a small bowl, sprinkle 1/2 packet of pudding mix in, whisking quickly with a fork or whisk. This mixture will thicken quickly upon standing and can be used straight away, or refrigerated if required later.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to split the pastry in half horizontally.
- Using a knife or spatula, spread half the cream mixture evenly onto the “bottom” half of the pastry, then add layer of fruit of choice. Then I like to add the rest of the cream to sandwich the mixture together with the pastry “lid”.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat. Just before serving, dust with icing sugar.